Friday, July 5, 2013

Let Freedom Ring!


This morning my boys slept past 8 o'clock! That should give you an indication of the big day we had yesterday celebrating Our Country's birthday! Despite the rainy and damp day, we enjoyed family time, fun food, and fireworks.

We started the day with some fun time with Daddy shopping at our favorite bargain hunt store and a stop for lunch at McDonald's! And would you believe who we saw there? Abraham Lincoln! That's right, folks! I regret that I didn't get a picture of him, but he was right there eating a vanilla ice cream cone! Now how more American can you get I ask?! [The guy was a great look-a-like, very tall and thin with a real-deal beard and dressed in a black suit with a top hat.] I again regret, regret not getting his picture! It was so cool!

After that excitement, we made are way to the fireworks tent to buy some of our favorite fireworks. The boys couldn't wait to get home! Despite the rain, Daddy was their hero helping them shoot their firecrackers. Their favorites were the poppers and the smoke bombs.

Daddy lighting fireworks and making boys smile!

The boys - all three - watching Daddy!
You got to cover your eyes!

If you look close, Benjamin is making a choo-choo sound!

Smoke on the boots!
Max's favorite was the bottle rockets! This is why we kept him in the fence!
After all that fun, we finished decorating our 4th of July cookies.While decorating, the conversation was mostly one-sided. Mommy said things like,

"Don't lick the top of the sprinkle bottle!"
"Who licked the frosting off this cookie?!"
"Hey, don't eat all our sprinkles. Put them on the cookies!"

The boys just said,
"Can I eat a cookie?"
"Can I eat a cookie?"
"Can I eat another cookie?!"

Hard at work! [Yes, that's another toad in the background!]

These were delicious little cookies piled high with sprinkles!
Patriotic cookies!

Once our cookies were finished, we packed up and headed to Uncle Jeff and Aunt Beth's house for a cookout and more fireworks. What a great visit and great food! We are so blessed!

We are so blessed to live in America!
Our cookout was all-American with hamburgers and hot dogs and yummy sides like corn on the cob and potato salad! I just need to share a few pictures!
The dogs!

Grilled corn on the cob!

Fresh lemonade
Apple pie! Yum!
After dinner, we were able to shoot a few fireworks but we mostly sat and watched the neighbors, saving ours for another rain-free night!

What? Jackets on the 4th of July? It was damp and a little chilly in the rain. The fire pit was perfect!

Ethan said this was his special 4th of July toad!

We are PROUD to be AMERICANS!
Ethan asked me this morning if it was still the 4th of July and I said, "Sure! Why not!" Every day we should celebrate this great country of ours and remember that there was a cost for our freedoms that was paid dearly by others, and a great God who has blessed this land!

God Bless America! Land that I Love!



1 comment:

Tamara said...

thanks for sharing. Sure looks like a perfect way to celebrate our great country's birthday!